As a school we are committed to healthy eating and the school has achieved Healthy Schools Status as recognised by Cambridgeshire County Council. We are proud to often achieve 75% of children choosing to have school lunches. The cost for school meals is £2.25 per day (April 2017). All payments are made online using ParentPay (https://www.parentpay.com/)and school meals must be paid for in advance.
The menus include a choice of freshly cooked food offering balanced hot two-course meals. Menus are planned to incorporate healthy eating objectives including increasing fibre, and reducing salt, fat and sugar. Menus feature a range of seasonal foods, freshly prepared each day by skilled staff. Vegetarian options are always provided.
Menus are planned to include:
• A high proportion of traditionally made dishes
• Freshly baked bread, pastry and hot desserts
• A daily choice of seasonal vegetables, salad and fresh fruit
• Quality meat and fish with no mechanically recovered meat (MRM)
• No Genetically Modified Organisms (GMOs)
• Low levels of salt added to recipes, and minimal additives
A salad bar is provided every day where children can help themselves to fresh salad and raw vegetables. We believe this will help children achieve their target of 5 portions of fruit and vegetables every day.
Children who prefer to bring a packed lunch are asked to do so in a small lunch box clearly marked with their name.
Lunchtime supervision is provided. Good manners and politeness are always encouraged during mealtimes.